Windows play a huge role in determining your home’s design style, light levels, and energy bills. And they aren’t a feature you can easily switch out! When you get the chance to choose replacement windows for your home, it’s not a decision you should take lightly.
Choosing the right windows for your home comes down to four decision factors: style, design, performance, and material. Read on to learn how to choose the perfect new windows to update your home.
Choose The Right Window Style
The style of your windows has to do with the way they open. Certain styles work better in a bedroom environment, others work best in kitchens or bathrooms, and others seamlessly adapt to any type of room.
Popular window styles include:
- Double hung. These windows have two sections that can slide vertically to sit next to the other, either at the top or bottom of the window frame.
- Sliding. Sliding windows have two or three sections that slide horizontally.
- Casement. These windows have a hinge on one side.
- Awning. Awning windows have a hinge at the top and open outward.
- Picture. Picture windows do not open and provide natural light.
- Bay. Bay windows have three sections that protrude from your home’s wall, providing a lot of natural light. The middle section is often fixed while the outer two sections are hinged.
- Garden. Garden windows are like a box of glass that protrudes from your home. They are perfect for kitchens because they provide space and light for growing herbs.
Choosing Your Frame Material
Your window frames influence the look and efficiency of your windows. Ideally, you want your window frame material to be non-conductive, durable, low-maintenance, affordable, and long-lasting.
Popular window frame materials include:
Talk to your local window dealership apexwindows.info to see what frame material will best suit your home and budget.
Choose Your Performance
We’ve all dealt with windows that are impossible to open, don’t lock, or don’t seal correctly. You want new windows to perform as well as possible.
The following features improve the performance of your windows:
- Easy and smooth open-and-close mechanism
- Double or triple-pane glass for ultimate insulation and energy efficiency
- Sound resistance keeps your neighbors’ noise from disturbing your home
- Glazed windows have UV resistance that protects you and your family from the sun’s harmful effects
Choose the Right Window Design
Your window’s design has to do with the colors and details of your window. Different designs suit certain design aesthetics better than others.
When deciding on your windows’ designs, you’ll need to choose:
- The glass color, trim color, and frame color
- The window shape (round, square, rectangular, arched, etc.)
All these factors work together to create a window that can enhance your home’s design aesthetic or transform it completely. Round windows can create a modern design style, while arched windows can create a contemporary design style.
Find the Perfect Windows for Your Home
Now you know how to choose the right windows for your home. By choosing the best style, material, performance, and design, you can enjoy having beautiful and functional windows.
If you found this post helpful, be sure to check out the rest of our blog for posts on home renovation, home owning, and more.