Many people have heard of a traditional sauna, but what about an infrared sauna? Here's everything you need to know about this type of sauna.

What Is an Infrared Sauna?

These days, health and wellness are as important to people as making money, if not more so. One popular, soothing method to detoxify the body and get away from the everyday is through an infrared sauna.

You might have heard about infrared sauna therapy, but still have no idea what it is– or if it’s right for you. In this article, we’ll explore what an infrared sauna is, how it compares to other sauna treatments out there, and more. Keep reading to better understand this form of sauna therapy.

What Is an Infrared Sauna?

By not heating the air, infrared saunas are more comfortable than traditional saunas. Lamps emitting infrared light (a form of electromagnetic radiation) are used instead to provide direct heat to the body.

Physical therapist Vivian Eisenstadt, MAPT, CPT, MASP notes that modern saunas employ infrared panels instead of traditional heat to quickly and deeply penetrate human tissue, hence warming the user’s body before the surrounding air.

In contrast to the standard 150–180 degrees Fahrenheit that a regular sauna operates at, an infrared sauna only needs to be about 120–140 degrees.

Manufacturers of infrared saunas claim that only around 20% of the heat is used to warm the air, while the remaining 80% is absorbed by the body.

Proponents of infrared saunas argue that the heat can go deeper into the body than conventional saunas. With this, you can sweat more heavily while remaining at a cooler temperature.

According to Eisenstadt, this makes the sauna experience more bearable, so you may stay there longer and raise your body temperature by two or three degrees.

Benefits of an Infrared Sauna

The benefits of using an infrared sauna are said to be the same as those of using a regular sauna. These things are:

  • Better sleep, rest, and cleansing
  • Sore muscles get better when you lose weight
  • Joint pain relief, like for arthritis
  • Clearer, tighter skin, and better circulation for people with chronic fatigue syndrome

Should You Try an Infrared Sauna?

Before you try it for the first time, there are a few things you should know.

If you’ve been drinking, don’t use an infrared sauna. If you’re sick or have a fever, it’s best to wait until you feel better to use the sauna.

When you use an infrared sauna, you will sweat a lot, which may make you feel dizzy when you stand up. If this happens, make sure you get out of the sauna slowly and sit down.

After you’re done, you should drink water immediately and wait for your body to cool down before doing anything else. Some people may get too hot (heat stroke or heat exhaustion) or lose too much water in the worst cases.

If you’re interested in going to the sauna, read more here so you will be prepared.

Health Improvement With Infrared Sauna

If you’re looking for a way to improve your health and relax simultaneously, an infrared sauna may be for you. Infrared saunas use infrared light to heat your body, rather than the air around you. This helps your body to sweat and eliminates toxins. There are many health benefits associated with infrared saunas, including improved circulation, weight loss, detoxification, and more.

For more health tips,advice or information on grounding sheets, be sure to visit our blog to see more articles like this!

Leave a Reply